Permits and Licenses

Costa Rica Entry Requirements

Upon your initial arrival in Costa Rica, you will need to acquire a temporary permit, the “Certificado de Importacion Temporal”, for your vessel. However, this permit is valid for a maximum of three months and is not renewable. Once it expires, your vessel must depart from the country, as customs do not allow for temporary renewals.

If you wish your vessel to stay in Costa Rica beyond the initial three-month period, you must apply for an extended cruising permit for 1 or 2 years from the Department of Transportation Maritime Division (MOPT). A slip usage agreement with the marina may be able to facilitate you in obtaining this extended cruising permit.

For those visiting Costa Rica for the first time, we recommend contacting us at least 72 hours ahead, so we can arrange for a visit from the relevant government authorities and serve as an official Port of Entry.

Please have the following documents ready when contacting Agency of the Sea.  If you do not have all documents, we may be able to assist you on obtaining them.

  • A copy of the vessel’s Certificate of Registry
  • The list of crew members
  • Copies of the front page of crew members’ passports
  • Boat Liability Insurance (minimum $500,000)
  • A notarized copy of the Power of Attorney or Letter of Authority, issued by the vessel’s owner to the captain, granting permission for sailing through international waters.
  • A copy of the most recent international clearance or ZARPE issued at the last port of call.

Permits & Licenses Services

We provide a range of services that include but are not limited to:

  • Acquiring necessary permits and licenses
  • Renewal of existing permits and licenses
  • Customs and immigration procedures
  • Assistance with local maritime regulations
  • Consultation and support throughout the permit/license application process

Why Choose Us

Our team is well-versed with local laws and procedures, ensuring a smooth process in acquiring or renewing your permits and licenses.

Contact Us

To learn more about our services or to request assistance with permits and licenses, please reach us via: